- change ups
Advertising industry turns out for ADDY Awards
The American Advertising Federation West Michigan hosted the local ADDY awards at the Grand Rapids Art Museum this week, handing out nearly 110 awards to local agencies and individuals.
More than 400 members of the West Michigan creative community and their clients attended the event, which celebrated Gold and Silver Award winners.
“All of the judges were amazed at the quality of the work that West Michigan was producing,” said Kristen Myers-Chatman, a member of the group's board of directors.
Myers-Chatman said that of the non-winners, several entries were within a half of a point of making the Silver category.
She also said that the entries this year were up by approximately 20 percent, an sign of a rebounding West Michigan business climate.
“I think that there’s a lot of indicators that it represents,” Myers-Chatman said. “Number one, that the market is bouncing back and that companies are investing more in advertising and promoting their organization. Budgets are increasing. Bigger budgets are almost always indicative of more work.
“All signs are very good, not only from the quality, but the volume, and then what that represents to the business community," she said. "It really does trend on the side of businesses are growing and are investing more in themselves and in promoting themselves.”
All submissions were judged and chosen by six judges from outside the district.
Gold entries will automatically be submitted to the second tier of the competition, where they will be judged against the other winners from the district. Silver winners also have the option of submitting their entries.
District winners then compete at the national ADDY awards competition.
West Michigan entrants earned 32 Gold and 57 Silver ADDY Awards.
Entrants in the student category, all from Kendall College of Art and Design, took home 7 Gold and 13 Silver ADDY Awards.
2013 Best of Show ADDY Award winners
- Professional: Boileau Communications Management, “Holland Board of Public Works Annual Report”
- Professional: Erin Waineo Design, “Cat Footwear Autumn/Winter Issue”
- Student: Isaac Daniels, “Portlock Smoked Salmon Paté Campaign”
2013 Judges’ Choice ADDY Award winners
- Professional: Extra Credit Projects, “Heart of West Michigan United Way”
- Professional: Greenlight Marketing, “Traverse Health Clinic Poster”
- Professional: Grey Matter Group, “Grey Matter Group Website”
- Professional: Mindscape at Hanon McKendry, “Cornerstone University Website”
- Professional: Plenty Creative, “Dead of Winter Invitation”
- Student: Andrew Kukawka, “Big Sky Brewing Company Advertisement”
- Student: Harrison Miracle, “Food Fight Website”
- Student: Isaac Daniels, “Disorder Publication”
Entrants earning the largest number of ADDY Awards
- Extra Credit Projects: 12 awards, 3 Gold and 9 Silver
- Gravity Six Alliance: 10 awards, 3 Gold and 7 Silver
- Fairly Painless Advertising: 7 awards, 1 Gold and 6 Silver
Mark Tanis, owner of The Image Group, was recognized as the 2013 AAF West Michigan Silver Medal Award winner for his contributions to the West Michigan advertising industry.
A complete list of the chapter's 2013 ADDY Award winners can be found at its website.