- change ups
Forum looks at construction biz
The financial and legal aspects and pitfalls of the building business will be addressed and dissected at an upcoming forum.
Local firms Beene Gartner, Hilger Hammond PC and Pinnacle Life Insurance Partners are joining forces to present the West Michigan Construction Industry Forum. The afternoon event will be held Sept. 26 at Thousand Oaks Golf Club, 4100 Thousand Oaks, just off Five Mile Road NE.
A dozen speakers will address various construction business-related topics at eight scheduled sessions that will begin at 1:15 and end at 4:30, with a cocktail hour to follow.
A sample of those sessions includes:
- Aileen Leipprandt and Ben Hammond, both of Hilger Hammond law firm, will discuss the top 10 overlooked contract clauses builders often consider to be boilerplate materials. The session will be interactive.
- Ann Plummer of Beene Gartner and Mike Poggi of Pinnacle Life Insurance will present what they call a “bond boot camp,” intended to teach companies how to take advantage of their bond programs. The topics will include developing a consistent prequalification program, having a backup surety plan in place, and why contractors fail in this financial area.
- Steve Hilger of Hilger Hammond will share information on how to enforce and defend against construction liens and bond payments.
- Elizabeth Welch Lykins of Welch Law Firm will highlight the most common legal mistakes companies make, such as misusing independent contractors, and offer the type of policies that should be in place to protect a business.
- Eric Larson of Beene Gartner will address how to build the value of a construction business.
Other sessions will talk about creating public-private partnerships, the latest OSHA safety rules and how to simplify expense reporting.
Also on the forum’s roster are: loss prevention consultant Scott Braak; Michael D’Onofrio, managing director of Engineered Tax Services; Brian LaFrenier of Beene Garter; Mark Rysberg of Hilger Hammond; CPA Eric Smith; and Jon Wandrei of Electronic Funds Source.
Registration is at 12:45. More information is at constructionindustryforum.net and (616) 284-3062.