- people on the move
May Disaster Funds Available Now
WASHINGTON, D.C. — U.S. Rep. Pete Hoekstra, R-Holland, says residents and business owners can apply immediately for federal disaster funds that the President freed last week in his Michigan disaster declaration.
Hoekstra said the measure triggers the release of federal funds to help families and firms in Kent, Ottawa, Ionia and Newaygo counties afflicted by severe storms and flooding May 20-24.
Those who sustained losses in the designated counties can apply for assistance by calling the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) at (800) 621-3362. FEMA is coordinating the funding.
“The heavy rain and flooding in May severely damaged many homes and businesses throughout the area,” Hoekstra said. “I am pleased to announce that federal assistance will be available to help the people of West Michigan recover from these storms.”
In addition to the counties named above, federal disaster funds also will be available in Barry, Berrien, Cass, Genesee, Gladwin, Ingham, Jackson, Livingston, Macomb, Mecosta, Oakland, Sanilac, Shiawassee, St. Clair, St. Joseph and Wayne counties.
The available assistance includes grants to help pay for temporary housing, home repairs and other serious disaster-related expenses.
Low-interest loans will also be available to cover residential and business losses not fully compensated by insurance.
In addition, Hoekstra said federal funds will be available to local governments on a cost-shared basis for approved hazard mitigation projects that would prevent or reduce long-term risk to life and property from natural or technological disasters.
Beyond the counties listed above, hazard mitigation funds also are available in the counties of Arenac, Saginaw and Van Buren.