Grand Rapids ranks No. 2 in US for 'finding employment'
Due to low unemployment rates and strong job prospects in several industries, Grand Rapids is the second-best city in the country for finding a job “right now.”
Grand Rapids is featured in a ranking of “The Top Cities for Finding Employment Right Now” by Forbes this month, which was compiled in partnership with the human resources company Adecco Staffing USA.
Adecco, a national staffing agency, identified the 10 best cities across the nation to find a job by evaluating several factors, such as cost of living, companies with a variety of employment opportunities and the type of job markets in a specific area.
The firm also analyzed employment-rate data from the U.S. Department of Labor from March 2015 and internal information and feedback from regional offices to determine which cities have the strongest job markets.
Grand Rapids opportunities
Grand Rapids is identified in the ranking as the second-strongest market in terms of job opportunities, based on its low unemployment rate of 3.9 percent and having a number of employment positions available in the automotive, consumer goods, health care, manufacturing and food industries.
Several of the in-demand skills or jobs for Grand Rapids include engineers in manufacturing, production and quality, health care support, information technology and general labor.
With a record high number of employment openings with major employers, there are more job opportunities than available workforce, and companies are shifting their hiring strategies from contract-to-hire roles to full time, direct-hire positions, according to Adecco.
Nancy Siegal, regional VP at Adecco Staffing, said pay rates and compensation packages are rising since “competition for candidates is getting quite extreme.”
Adecco also said that industries such as health care and manufacturing had a positive trend during 2014 across the nation.
Health care employment opportunities increased by roughly 305,000 jobs, while the manufacturing industry saw an increase of about 178,000 positions.
"The Top Cities for Finding Employment Right Now"
1. Austin, Texas: retail, leisure and hospitality, technology, business and professional services
2. Grand Rapids: automotive, consumer goods, health care, manufacturing, food
3. Nashville, Tenn.: health care, transportation and logistics, higher education
4. Charlotte, N.C.: finance, education, health care, manufacturing, sports
5. Jacksonville, Fla.: logistics, industrial
6. Louisville, Ky.: logistics and supply chain, health care, manufacturing
7. New York and Hudson Valley, N.Y.: retail and fashion, finance and banking, service, hospitality, manufacturing
8. Cincinnati: distribution, finance, mortgage
9. Los Angeles and Orange County, Calif.: manufacturing, customer service, creative, technology, health care, aerospace
10. Chicago: manufacturing, logistics, customer service
Source: Forbes and Adecco, 2015