- people on the move
West Michigan brewers among top 50 in U.S.
Two West Michigan breweries are included among the top craft breweries in the U.S., while another is no longer considered craft.
Bell’s Brewery remains No. 7 on the Brewers Association’s 2015 Top 50 Craft Brewers list, while Oskar Blues Holding Co. — the parent company of Comstock Park’s Perrin Brewing Co. — is No. 14 on the list.
While it comes in as the No. 20 top overall U.S. brewery, Founders Brewing Co. no longer appears on the top craft breweries list, where it was No. 17 in 2014. It was the No. 23 overall brewery in 2014.
The Brewers Association no longer considers Founders “craft” because of the 30 percent share owned by Spanish brewer Mahou San Miguel.
Several breweries will no longer be craft when the 2016 numbers are released next year, including No. 6 Lagunitas Brewing Co. and No. 11 Ballast Point Brewing Co., because of sales to international beverage corporations.
Firestone Walker, which is No. 13 on the list, will be included in the Duvel Moortgat USA Group, which is at No. 15 in 2015.
Next year, Oskar Blues Holding Co. will see a boost in production because of expansions at both Oskar Blues Brewery — in Colorado, North Carolina and Texas — and Perrin, along with its acquisition of Florida’s Cigar City Brewing this year, which is also set to expand.
Top 50 Craft Brewers
1. D.G. Yuengling Brewing and Sons – Pottsville, Pennsylvania
2. Boston Beer Co. – Boston
3. Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. – Chico, California
4. New Belgium Brewing Co. – Fort Collins, Colorado
5. Gambrinus – San Antonio, Texas
6. Lagunitas Brewing Co. – Petaluma, California
7. Bell’s Brewery – Comstock, Michigan
8. Deschutes Brewery – Bend, Oregon
9. Minhas Craft Brewery – Monroe, Wisconsin
10. Stone Brewing Co. – Escondido, California
11. Ballast Point Brewing & Spirits – San Diego
12. Brooklyn Brewery – Brooklyn, New York
13. Firestone Walker Brewing Co. – Paso Robles, California
14. Oskar Blues Brewing Holding Co. – Longmont, Colorado
15. Duvel Moortgat USA – Kansas City, Missouri, and Cooperstown, New York
16. Dogfish Head Craft Brewery – Milton, Delaware
17. Matt Brewing Co. – Utica, New York
18. SweetWater Brewing Co. – Atlanta
19. Harpoon Brewery – Boston
20. New Glarus Brewing Co. – New Glarus, Wisconsin
21. Great Lakes Brewing Co. – Cleveland, Ohio
22. Alaskan Brewing Co. – Juneau, Alaska
23. Abita Brewing Co. – Abita Springs, Louisiana
24. Anchor Brewing Co. – San Francisco, California
25. Stevens Point Brewery Co. – Stevens Point, Wisconsin
26. Victory Brewing Co. – Downingtown, Pennsylvania
27. August Schell Brewing Co. – New Ulm, Minnesota
28. Long Trail Brewing Co. – Bridgewater Corners, Vermont
29. Summit Brewing Co. – Saint Paul, Minnesota
30. Shipyard Brewing Co. – Portland, Maine
31. Full Sail Brewing Co. – Hood River, Oregon
32. Odell Brewing Co. – Fort Collins, Colorado
33. Southern Tier Brewing Co. – Lakewood, New York
34. Rogue Ales Brewery – Newport, Oregon
35. 21st Amendment Brewery – Bay Area, California
36. Ninkasi Brewing Co. – Eugene, Oregon
37. Flying Dog Brewery – Frederick, Maryland
38. Narragansett Brewing Co. – Providence, Rhode Island
39. Left Hand Brewing Co. – Longmont, Colorado
40. Unita Brewing Co. – Salt Lake City, Utah
41. Green Flash Brewing Co. – San Diego
42. Allagash Brewing Co. – Portland, Maine
43. Lost Coast Brewing Co. – Eureka, California
44. Bear Republic Brewing Co. – Cloverdale, California
45. Troegs Brewing Co. – Hershey, Pennsylvania
46. Karl Strauss Brewing Co. – San Diego
47. Breckenridge Brewery – Littleton, Colorado
48. North Coast Brewing Co. – Fort Bragg, California
49. FourPeaks Brewing Co. – Tempe, Arizona
50. Revolution Brewing Co. – Chicago