Human Resources, Manufacturing, and Small Business & Startups

Man dies after falling into acid-filled vat

February 12, 2019
| By AP |
Print
Text Size:
A A

SOUTH LYON — Officials said a 54-year-old man has died after falling into a vat containing sulfuric acid at a plant.

The Detroit News reports Michigan Seamless Tube confirmed that the man died following the "serious industrial accident" on Saturday at its facility in South Lyon.

Police Chief Chris Sovik told the newspaper that the man fell into a "chemical solution" and was pulled out. He was taken to a hospital with severe burns.

Michigan Seamless spokesman Mark Hommel said the company is conducting a "comprehensive investigation" and is cooperating fully with authorities.

The man's name wasn't immediately released.

Fire Chief Robert Vogel told The Oakland Press of Pontiac that the vat of sulfuric acid had been heated to about 160 degrees as part of the manufacturing process.

Recent Articles by AP

Editor's Picks

Comments powered by Disqus