Grand Rapids ranks as No. 4 'smartest' city in US
Grand Rapids is among the “Top 10 Smartest Cities” in the country.
A contributor at Forbes — who’s a professor of urban studies at Orange, Calif.-based Chapman University — looked at 380 metropolitan statistical areas, or MSAs, applying three criteria, to determine which cities are the “smartest.”
The Grand Rapids-Wyoming market earned the No. 4 four spot thanks in part to the fact that 30.6 percent of the population holds college degrees.
The market has also seen a 92.7-percent increase in its college-educated population since 2000.
The methodology of the ranking is described in the post at Forbes.
“Top 10 Smartest Cities”
1. Boston-Cambridge-Newton, Mass., N.H.
2. Pittsburgh, Pa.
3. San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, Calif.
4. Grand Rapids-Wyoming
5. Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, Washington, D.C., Va., Md., W.V.
6. Baltimore-Columbia-Towson, Md.
7. Raleigh, N.C.
8. San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward, Calif.
9. Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, Wash.
10. New York-Newark-Jersey City, N.Y., N.J., Pa.
Source: Forbes, 2014